What Is A Colon Cleanse?
A colon cleanse includes a variety of alternative medical treatments that aim to flush out toxins from the intestine. With the right colon cleanse supplements, the process can be easy and have many detox benefits for your body. The benefits of a colon cleanse include getting rid of toxins in your stomach.
What Is Autointoxication And How Does It Relate To Colon Cleansing?
According to naturopaths, these colonic toxins build up as a result of infrequent bowel movements and/or the consumption of unhealthy processed foods. The naturopathic experts believe that the stool in people with chronic constipation gets rotted and sticks to the walls of the colon. These rotten feces become the host for harmful bacteria and parasites, and when they get absorbed into the blood, sickness and disease ensues, which is why detox is so important. This theory that putrefaction of stools induces disease was termed as auto-intoxication by the ancient Egyptian physicians.
Moreover, in the ancient days, it was thought that breakdown of proteins in the colon by certain bacteria generates toxic amines that trigger autointoxication. However, an article published in the Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology revealed that consumption of lactic acid-producing bacteria can reverse this toxic process.  These bacteria can modify the microflora of the colon that prevents the protein degradation and hence minimizes the autointoxication.
The intuition that constipation is the root of all diseases is also acknowledged by experts of this era.  Given the fact that decayed feces contain certain cancer-causing agents, called carcinogens and sluggish bowel movements enhance the duration of contact between carcinogens in the stools and the gut wall,  the naturopathic specialists deem colon cleansing as being necessary since the benefits of colon cleansing can be acute.
In addition, as the toxins from the stool leash into the circulation, a variety of illnesses may follow, including but not limited to chronic fatigue, irritable bowel syndrome, fibromyalgia, body aches, obesity, diabetes, metabolic syndrome, depression, anxiety, and migraine headaches. 
The Pitfalls Of A Colon Cleanse
It is, however, worth-noticing that the widely accepted current hypothesis is that the colon has its own natural way to get rid of the unwanted waste. The aforementioned problems may not be actually caused by the so-called autointoxication but by mechanical distension (aka expansion) of the bowels.  Furthermore, current medical science lacks enough data to support the notion that the intestines can be cleansed of the built-up toxins.  Also, a few adverse events have been reported with colonic irrigation.
What Are The Benefits Of Colon Cleansing?
Regardless of the drawbacks with some modes of colon cleansing, research supports the following benefits, ones that show why detox is so important. Colon cleansing:
- Improves digestion and nutrient absorption
- Reduces inflammation and/or irritation of the gut lining 
- May alleviate IBS symptoms 
- May help reduce chronic fatigue and pain associated with musculoskeletal conditions like fibromyalgia syndrome 
- Fights obesity
- Boosts your energy levels
- Battles mental health issues, including schizophrenia: This may be because of a significant correlation between mental health disorders and a diseased intestine 
Why is Detox Important?
Detoxes are important to gain the benefits mentioned above of colon cleansing. Besides eliminating toxins from your stomach, they can aid with weight loss by combatting the bloat from built up toxins if that’s a healthy goal for your physical fitness. They can also help combat diseases mentioned above.
That being said, you should not detox every day. Aiming for once a week is a good natural cadence for your body to flush out toxins.
What Are The Different Methods Of Doing A Colon Cleanse?
Basically, there are two main categories of colon cleanses. One is done by a professional and includes procedures like colonic irrigation or colonic hydrotherapy whereas the other entails utilizing a solution or supplement at home. One such supplement that can be tried for a colon cleanse is Microbiome Plus Colon Cleanse and Detox. This supplement is an easy way you can get rid of toxins in your stomach.
The Benefits of Colon Cleanse Supplements
All types of colon cleanses tend to cleanse the intestine of the chronically present decomposed stool that according to naturopathic doctors could be a culprit behind illnesses.The benefits of colon cleanses are largely same regardless of the method you choose, however, supplements can be taken in the comfort of your own home. Colon cleanse supplements have the added benefit of being more cost-effective than irrigation or hydrotherapy and you can control when you take them — no need for appointments.
The colon cleanse supplements our naturopathic doctors recommend are made of nature’s finest detoxifying herbs alongside natural laxatives and fiber, anti-inflammatory omega-3 fatty acids from flaxseed, antioxidants like ginger, fennel and aloe vera, and minerals and vitamins from within our proprietary blend. It’s great for your body and mind, try it today. Read next:
- Chen TS, Chen PS. Intestinal autointoxication: a medical leitmotif. J Clin Gastroenterol. 1989;11(4):434-41.
- Whorton J. Civilisation and the colon: constipation as the “disease of diseases.” BMJ : British Medical Journal. 2000;321(7276):1586-1589.
- Citronberg J, Kantor ED, Potter JD, White E. A prospective study of bowel movement frequency, constipation, and laxative use on colorectal cancer risk. The American journal of gastroenterology. 2014;109(10):1640-1649. doi:10.1038/ajg.2014.233.
- Seaman DR. Toxins, Toxicity, and Endotoxemia: A Historical and Clinical Perspective for Chiropractors. Journal of Chiropractic Humanities. 2016;23(1):68-76. doi:10.1016/j.echu.2016.07.003.
- Relation of constipation to intestinal intoxication. JAMA. 1922;78(12):884–888. doi:10.1001/jama.1922.02640650028011.
- Acosta RD, Cash BD. Clinical effects of colonic cleansing for general health promotion: a systematic review. Am J Gastroenterol. 2009;104(11):2830-6; quiz 2837. doi: 10.1038/ajg.2009.494.
- Horne S. Colon cleansing: A popular, but misunderstood natural therapy. J Herb Pharmacother. 2006;6(2):93-100.
- Hsu H-H, Leung W-H, Hu G-C. Treatment of irritable bowel syndrome with a novel colonic irrigation system: a pilot study. Techniques in Coloproctology. 2016;20:551-557. doi:10.1007/s10151-016-1491-x.
- Shevchuk NA. Hydrotherapy as a possible neuroleptic and sedative treatment. Med Hypotheses. 2008;70(2):230-8.